Friday, March 21, 2008

Leadville Training - March Update

It's been a bad month. Things were looking good in February when I dropped five pounds (to 177) and was riding hard, including doing several 50-mile rides on weekends. Then Michael and Jacob came into town for a week. We kept eating out, so I went off my training diet. To make matters worse, the whole family got sick. I ended up with bronchitis, which kept me off the bike for a couple of weeks. And what's the point of lying around the house if you're not going to eat ice cream and donuts? And since you're not in training mode, why not have an extra helping or two of dinner? Oh, is it girl scout cookie season? Sure, I'll support the friendly neighbhorhood Lolitas. Why not?

I now weigh 184 pounds.

The good news is that I'm back on my bike. I'll test the waters this weekend with a 40-mile ride, and then maybe I can get back into a rhythm of eating moderately, bursting a couple times a week, and going on a long, hard weekend ride. I'm also looking into a couple of other strategies, such as vomiting after especially large meals and using crystal meth to increase my metabolism. Don't worry. I'll never blood dope with EPO, because that's cheating.

If I Had to Do Leadville This Weekend - DNF at 40-mile aid station.

Projected Leadville Time - 13:05

Best Case Leadville Time - 11:59

Leadville Enthusiasm Rating - 3 out of 10