Thursday, January 8, 2009

This Depression Is Depressing

People are starting to call this economic downturn a "depression" instead of a "recession." I'm staring at a newly constructed office building that should be humming with activity, but is still totally vacant. Everyone is pulling back, which means no one is buying as much as they used to, which means companies are laying off people, which means a hefty chunk of people don't have money to buy things, and down we go.

It's a problem that this is a problem. We shouldn't have to expect double-digit growth. In my mind, economic growth should mirror population growth, or slightly exceed it. Any excess should be treated as such -- excess. It's a good thing I've never studied macro-economics, or I'm fairly convinced I'd berate myself for writing such idealistic nonsense.

Anyway, if you notice that I don't blog as often as usual, you know the reason. I'm trying to save money.