Thursday, November 6, 2008

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

McCabe & Mrs. Miller isn't a popular movie, and it doesn't seem that critically acclaimed. Sure, a few critics rave about it, but you don't see it listed on the great films lists. Or maybe it's just me. Before seeing it, I thought it was one of the inferior Robert Altman movies that has appeal only because it was an Altman film. I finally broke down and watched it.

It's one of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

I still can't get over why this movie isn't better known, other than the fact that it's bleak. Maybe it's the fact that people looking at it as western would be disappointed in its lack of western qualities, and people who look for an arty movies end up seeing a western.

The movie reminds me of Deadwood. In fact, Deadwood seems closer in spirit to McCabe & Mrs. Miller than M*A*S*H is in spirit to Altman's original movie.

If you have any poetry in you, go see it.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you found a gem. That's what keeps me going to movies and trying older stuff. I'm disappointed a lot, but when a find one I like it's worth it.

    Have you seen GATTACA? One of my hidden gems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So weird. I just watched that movie two weeks ago. Coincidence? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't have ANY poetry in me, but i agree that this movie is great. better than great even.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in fact, it's a delight. dulce et utile.

    ReplyDelete