Thursday, October 4, 2007

Idol Worship

I'm not an American Idol fan. I was going to say that I don't have anything against the show, but now that I think about it, that's not exactly true. I actively dislike the show. Even though I don't watch it, it's so ingrained in our culture that I know who Kelly Clarkson and William Hung are, and there's a big black guy named Reuben who should have wowed me. From what I've seen on YouTube videos and in the quick flip-by glimpses on television, there are two types of contestants: the laughable and the annoying. I don't enjoy laughing at people who can't sing, because I have them all beat in terms of poor singing talent. And of the decent contestants, most of them have the same melismatic pop style derived from the likes of Christina Aguilera, which is not a good thing in my book. Instead of hitting one note, why not run through a bunch of notes? I blame it on Jimi Hendrix and his ridiculous rendition of the national anthem at Woodstock. Now everyone has to show off their range of notes. Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wa - hay - HAY - hay - HAY - ave . . .


That said, a co-worker sent me this link of a phone salesman who thinks he can sing opera. I liked it, corniness and all.