Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Is SNL Still Funny?

I haven't seen Saturday Night LIve in ten years and I haven't watched it regularly in about fifteen years. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I used to watch it regularly from the early years, and I mean the early years, back before Bill Murray replaced Chevy Chase. It reached a peak for me when Dana Carvey and Phil Hartmen were stars. With TiVo/DVR, there's no reason not to watch it, even when there are a bunch of hosts I've never heard of.

I heard an interview yesterday with an SNL writer who discussed the Ten To phenomenon, which I assume are the bizarre, experimental episodes that air near the end of the show, at ten to one. The interviewer referred to a Barry Gibb sketch as one of his favorites, so I decided to check it out. Like other late sketches, this one is bizarre and uneven, but it cracked me up. Maybe I need to start watching again.